Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pom versus Pama

Recently a free box of Pom pomegranate juice arrived on our doorstep. “Taste test our new products and tell us what you think!” the enclosed letter read, meaning, please like it and tell the world you like it because you are awesome and your opinions are so well-respected and we know our sales will increase exponentially as a result of your infamously witty and widely-read blog post.

Coincidentally, I also have a small bottle of Pama Liqueur on the shelf, which I bought before I realized one could successfully grovel for free samples. Dang.

First the Pom. The company sent a bunch of tea flavors as well as some 100% juices. I must admit I am biased. Hands down, I am a 100% juice girl. When something has flavoring and corn syrup added, I’m probably not going to like it. I owned Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Blush and Apple Dumplin’ dolls in 1980 and they maxed out my tolerance for fake fruit flavors, especially peach. Let sleeping dolls lie, I say.

So I found myself pleasantly surprised when I liked the sweetened Pomegranate Lychee Green Tea. I wouldn’t mind drinking it if I was on a road trip and it’s all they sold at the Quik Fill. My first choice of the new flavors, however, is the 100% Kiwi Pomegranate juice. Good stuff. As a purist, I also like plain old Pom.

Pama Liqueur rode the coattails of the “pomegranate is good for you” movement. Though I doubt it has the health benefits of pomegranate juice, heck, it’s got my other favorite vitamin, alcohol. Pama is a great addition to a gin and tonic or to a vodka collins, and because it is more concentrated in flavor than juice, there’s more room for alcohol in the glass. Works for me.

Which do I prefer in a cocktail, Pom or Pama? Both. I think juice tastes better in a cosmo, but I like liqueur added to a mixed drink. A recent taste test of a Countrypolitan proved that both Pom or Pama complement bourbon nicely, so you can confidently use whichever one you happen to have in the house (bar). And they are both more convenient than dealing with those slimy crunchy fresh pomegranate seeds.

Countrypolitan

1 ½ ounce Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve bourbon

½ ounce sweetened lime juice

½ ounce Cointreau

½ ounce Pama or 1 ounce Pom 100% juice

lime wheel

Shake all ingredients with ice. Strain into martini glass. Garnish with lime wheel.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: